Dwelling (DP-1) Insurance
Provide customers with a flexible solution that offers essential coverage in almost any circumstance
Not every home needs, or is eligible for, the full coverage of a homeowners policy. Often referred to as a dwelling or fire insurance policy, the DP-1 program provides the flexibility to offer essential coverage for homes that are any age, any occupancy, fair or better condition, even up to four-family construction. Liability protection and many other coverages can be added as options.
- All occupancy types – rental, seasonal, vacant, owner
- No restriction on the home’s age
- Fair or better condition
- Standalone, non-residential structures
- Up to four-family construction
- Named peril protection – The policy covers those causes of loss listed by name in the policy documents (fire, lightning, wind, hail, explosion, and others). It covers the essentials, but not everything.
- Actual cash value settlement – Losses are settled for the actual cash value (ACV), which takes depreciation into account. In many states we offer an upgrade to full repair cost coverage.
- Vacant homes eligible – We offer policy terms of three, six or twelve months for a vacant home going through a renovation, between tenants, or being held for sale.
- Standalone structures – Structures such as a pole barn, boat house, or gazebo can be written using the DP-1 seasonal program
Dwelling (DP-1) Policy Highlights
|Included Coverage||Loss of rent – Lost rental income is reimbursed if a covered peril causes sufficient damage that the tenant needs to move out and is no longer paying rent.
Additional coverage –
|Optional Coverage||Short-term rental permission – Rental terms less than three months, which are common in resort areas, can be accepted.
Occasional rental – With this option a seasonal home can be rented to others for a short period of time when not in use.
Short-term vacancy permission – A property between renters or undergoing renovations will be vacant for a few weeks or months. Adding the vacancy permission coverage keeps the property protected without the hassles of rewriting the policy.
Premises liability – Add protection for an injury occurring to someone while on the premises. The option does not cover a tenant’s actions.
Personal property – Add coverage for items such as furnishings, appliances, linens and the like, owned by the landlord and kept in the rental property, or owned by the seasonal home owner.
Vandalism – Physical damage or defacement of the home is covered.
Limited burglary – If a forced entry leaves signs of visible damage (for example a broken window or jimmied door) we will cover the theft of personal items or permanently attached items such as a heat pump or even copper piping.
Breakdown protection – Widen the policy’s scope to include the repair or replacement of major appliances, HVAC and electronics due to mechanical or electrical failure.
Identity theft recovery – Identity theft can result in real harm being done to a person’s credit report. This special option provides professional assistance and up to $15,000 in expense reimbursement.
|Payment Options||EZPay – Pay through automated monthly installments via credit card or bank account.
4-Pay – Pay a quarter up-front with an installment due every 60 days.
Full Pay – Pay when coverage begins or on renewal.