Not all bikes are the same. Insurance isn’t all the same, either.
Picking good motorcycle insurance is more than just choosing between comp and collision or liability-only. Here are four questions to ask yourself about coverages and options before you switch to a new policy or renew your current one.
1) What is your health insurance like?
An odd question? Not really, given the big changes we’ve all experienced in the last few years with health care. If you have a high-deductible policy, and need an x-ray or go to urgent care, you’ll likely pay out-of-pocket.
Medical payments coverage (often called “Med Pay”) might be worth considering. The typical $500 limit should be enough to cover smaller medical bills and it does not cost much to bump up to a higher limit.
While you’re at it, you might want to consider uninsured and under-insured motorist (UM/UIM) protection, too. That covers larger medical costs as well as repairs or bike replacement — if you’re left with the bill from an at-fault driver without sufficient insurance.
2) Are you into longer road trips?
Whether it’s that bucket-list ride to Sturgis, or just a long-weekend cruise, you’ll want to consider:
- Rental coverage – If you can’t ride your bike due to physical damage, your trip isn’t over. This endorsement covers the cost of a rental to finish the trip or get you home.
- Travel loss reimbursement – This could cover your room, dinner, and a ride-share after an accident.
- Towing and emergency assistance – Coverage for the reimbursement of some of these costs, too.
- Trailer coverage – Separate coverage can be added for damage to your bike trailer.
3) Does your wingman have a fuzzy face?
No, we don’t mean your uncle Earl. Coverage for injury to your dog or cat is a newer option you can add.
4) Do you ride year-round?
In much of the country, riding is a seasonal sport. It’s tempting to save a few bucks by canceling your policy when you put your bike under wraps for the winter. But it can still be stolen, vandalized, or damaged. Consider year-round coverage for your bike.
Call American Modern® insurance for a quote. 1-888-564-4535.
Coverage is subject to policy terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions, underwriting review and approval, and may not be available for all risks or in all states. Rates and discounts vary, are determined by many factors, and are subject to change. Policies are written by one of the licensed insurers of American Modern Insurance Group, Inc., including American Modern Home Insurance Company d/b/a in CA as American Modern Insurance Company (Lic. No. 2222-8).