Candles and romance go hand in hand on Valentine’s Day, but what starts as a warm glow could escalate into a dangerous fire. Although candles account for a small percentage of total home fires, they can still spark serious damage. Keep these tips in mind this Valentine’s Day to make sure it’s love, and not smoke, that’s in the air.
Never leave a lit candle unattended. If you’re leaving the room, even for only a minute, extinguish any lit candles. Under the right circumstances, it only takes a split second for a candle flame to start a much larger fire.
Keep pets away from candles. A burning candle could be a curiosity to your four-legged roommate. Pets can easily singe their fur or knock over a candle.
Be extra careful with candles in the bedroom. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the majority (36%) of candle fires start in the bedroom. Be sure to keep candles away from bedding and curtains.
Keep candles away from drafts. All it takes is a slight breeze from an open window or a ceiling fan to cause a candle flame to flare into fire.
Don’t let candles burn too long. The more time a candle burns, the less stable its wick becomes. Unstable wicks produce larger flames, which could ignite nearby objects.
Don’t blow out candles. Blowing out candles can splatter wax and create excess smoke. Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a flame or use an instrument to fold the wick over into wet wax to snuff it out.
Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Even if you never light a candle—on Valentine’s Day or any other—keep a fire extinguisher in your home and learn how to use it.
For information only. Not applicable to all situations.